Friday, February 20, 2015

BE STILL MY HEART

I looked at the calendar this morning and I couldn't believe that February was already half way over! I have been incredibly busy with work and my ill health. I haven't yet started taking down all the Christmas decorations, which is sadly depressing. However, I feel like now I can finally start to focus on the New Year.

As I have done in the past, I have chosen a word/phrase/verse to focus on for the year. Or, rather, I should say that God chose one for me. I had been pondering on it and leaning towards a word that would motivate me to carry on in this journey of life. Last year I have been reminded time and time again the phrase, "Love is patient" and the year before it was "Let go". Then at the end of December I kept pondering on the "ANCHOR".

I don’t fully know what my goals are for 2015 yet. While the rest of the world rushes to set goals, this year I want to study on the '"Anchor of Hope".
Besides I have my life verse...

The verse “BE STILL” hit me like a ton of bricks few years ago. I knew in my heart that was my life verse. That is what God wanted me to do on this journey of life.
However, in the course of a time I see the phrase pop up all over the place.
For example, I was scrolling down my Facebook wall and a friends' post showed this picture:



Every time I am disturbed that little voice in my heart said, “Be still.” I answered, “La, la, la. I can’t hear you.” (Oh, wait, maybe that’s the problem.). God has His own way of reminding me my Life Verse.  the other day, I was listening to Joel Osteen’s sermon and he was talking about, Exodus 14:14!

Later I was visiting a family friend. I noticed a wall hanging in their house. What did I see on there? A photo that said…



Sarah had put this on instagram:



Seriously, Lord? You are so patient with me! Okay, my thick head has received the message. I will be still.

Recently my cousin also told me that she was undergoing some problem and she told me that she was reminded of the verse I shared to her years ago from "Exodus 14:14"- the Lord will fight for you, you ONLY need to BE STILL"!

On Sunday, in church they sang the song "Still' by Hillsong. As I sang, "I will be still and know You are Lord," tears rolled down from my eyes. As weak and selfish and proud as I can be, Jesus wants me for himself. He wants me to be still so He can speak to my heart. It baffles me!

Being still or quieting myself to pray is not something that is easy for me. There is always noise around me. Even when I am alone, I will have the TV on or the music playing. My mind is always pre-occupied with so many thing. God has slowly been pulling me out of that but now He wants me to step up my game. He is emphasizing my need to be still and quiet my heart.


I can’t help but think about Mary and Martha. I am definitely a Martha. Every time I read that Gospel story I have to fight the urge to get mad at Mary for being so lazy and not helping her sister. Oh, sure! it sounds all good for Martha to sit around but eventually everyone will get hungry and wonder why there is nothing prepared to eat!

Okay, okay. I actually do understand what Jesus means and what He is trying to teach Martha. I need to quiet my heart and listen to the voice of God.

How about you? Did you pick a word for the year or make a resolution? I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment